2018年4月27日 星期五

Stereotype and the ethics of representation

Stereotype and the ethics of representation


Talking about the stereotype, it is always a huge topic in the literature. I personally think the stereotype is born from a great idea that really works. Take heroic story as an example, we all like to see the hero with his three plays: Setting up the problem, Conflict and the resolution. It is classic and simple, everyone would easily understand and like it. However, the issue is when the same structure happens, again and again, it becomes repetitive and boring.

When I was younger and hate story with stereotypes. I don’t understand why should the author make repeatedly work and set the bar low. Shouldn't literature be more artistic at least commercial? Therefore I tend to refuse to see commercial works. When I get into Ringling and major in film, I slowly get in touch with the production of the story. I realize that how important commercial work drives the industry. Many of the audience just want a simple entertainment! Commercial works is what makes the industry exist. I also read lots of books on how to makes the screenplay. Take Save The Cat as example, in this books the author teaches the reader to use the structure to makes a screenplay. When I am senior and take screenwriting as my senior thesis. I realize how hard to write a whole story. My teacher gave me a advise: if you are stuck in your story, use stereotypes to get through it. I then realize a stereotype is a tool of storytelling, it exists because we need it.


A great idea born from an old idea. This is what I learn in my senior story writing. I always want to write something new and special. But, it can only exist by looking back to the old story. The stereotype is a great teacher who can help you and teach you, but we should rely on it. I believe it works on every kind of story type, whatever it is film, comic, novel or even art. We have to always learn from the back and walks forward!

沒有留言:

張貼留言

Stereotype and the ethics of representation

Stereotype and the ethics of representation Talking about the stereotype, it is always a huge topic in the literature. I personally t...